rSoGuitar :: Guitar Lessons for Visual Music Theory Forum Index rSoGuitar :: Guitar Lessons for Visual Music Theory
Visual Music Theory for Guitar

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    rSoGuitar :: Guitar Lessons for Visual Music Theory Forum Index -> Pentatonic :: Removing ABoy and YSis
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim
rSoMinor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey fred, long time no talk. Sorry its taken me like 3 months to reply. I have been busy and now i'm not. so here we go. a Amin and a Bmin would be a 2 and a 3 in the key of G. to me that is easier than to remember family names that other people that i am playing with would have no idea to what i am talking about, but most will understand if you tell them to play a 2 and a 3 in whatever key that you want to play in. Sorry I'm not trying to be harsh, that is just my take on it and if you can show me something better i am all ears. I do still use spiral mapping though, i do find the value in it, but i also try to be aware of where my root is so i know what chords a minor, major, diminished, etc.

thanks
Tim
Tim
rSoMinor

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Fred, how is everything going? I know we've had our bickerings in the past, I hope we could put that aside and get along. I do see the value in what you teach, the only hang up I have ever had is how to relate with other musicians that I am playing with, without have to teach them the whole system. I need to be able to communicate with them and not try to justify what a old bro is or what mama is. I'm NOT trying or wanting to take a shot, I'm just stating how I feel. And also the key of a minor and b minor could also be in E minor, but that would be the same as G, right?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Relating to others Reply with quote

As far as relating to others without having to explain the whole system: I relate to others quite well without having to explain anything. What happens is I just know what key and mode we are in and most other musicians have little or no clue about what they are doing. You just need to know some simple universal terms.

Pa = Aeolian mode (most common minor mode used)
Ab = Locrian
Ma = Ionian (most common major mode used)
Yb = Dorian
Ob = Phyrgian
Ys = Lydian
Os = Mixolydian

What my system gives me is a quick way to understand what mode I am in...what chord I am playing. Most musicians just say, "I'm in the key of G major." But they may have no clue that they are actually playing in the mixolydian mode (major). They could be playing a G major chord followed by an F major and not even realize what a dead give away that is. If you understand my system you can make that calculation on the fly, with incredible ease. You won't have to stop the music, stand around and debate it with everyone there. You can spot it while you are playing and just know.

So, all you really need to know is which modes are majors/minors and be able to tell people: "Gmajor" They may or may not need to know if it's Yb. If they do, you should know to call it Dorian.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    rSoGuitar :: Guitar Lessons for Visual Music Theory Forum Index -> Pentatonic :: Removing ABoy and YSis All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: