rSoGuitar :: Guitar Lessons for Visual Music Theory Forum Index rSoGuitar :: Guitar Lessons for Visual Music Theory
Visual Music Theory for Guitar

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rhythm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    rSoGuitar :: Guitar Lessons for Visual Music Theory Forum Index -> Theory
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeyCAZA
rSoNew

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Rhythm Reply with quote

Hey, Mr. Pool. This is obviously me, Joey Very Happy
Okay, I figured I should ask a question, for basic analysis on my part.

In a situation, such as jamming, or just listening to a song, how would one figure out the time signature? I can SORTA get the counting beats part, but how do you figure if it is in 4/4 or 8/4 or something like that?
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:33 am    Post subject: time Reply with quote

Well, no matter what time signature, you should be able to tap your foot to a steady beat. No matter what, there should be at least some way to tap your foot. Finding it may not always be easy, but it's there, somewhere. Next point is just counting how many of those taps it takes to find your way back to the start of the cycle.
Take this song for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXz-UIaauqQ
Sometimes I find it help to actually use the numbers across the top of my keyboard to count it off. Like, at the start of the cycle of chords, or the key riff that's being played, I with sort of bounce my index finger lightly across the numbers and just try different combinations until I figure out one that works. For the song in that link I found that if I start at 1 right at the beginning of the guitar riff, and go 1,2,3,4,5 over and over, it works. Try it and see if you don't agree. So, I'm guessing...and I'm no expert...but I'd call it a 5/4 time signature. Read it as "5 quarter note beats." The 4 just indicates that we're talking about quarter notes for each beat...I don't think that part is as important to get a grasp on as the fact that it takes 5 of them to complete a measure. You could also call it 10/8 and it would work. That should be no surprise. Count across the keyboard to 10 and make that your cycle. I suppose looking at it that way, you just made it seem like there's more beats/notes in a full measure, so that's the justification for calling it over 8. If that doesn't hit you as simple and understandable...don't sweat it. Like I said, that's not the part to really worry about. It's figuring out how many beats complete the cycle...that's where you need to focus and master.

Listen to the Beatles, "All you need is love" and it'll blow your rock and roll hair back:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXL08IoNKiE
As soon as the cycle starts I get 7/8. But then as it nears a momentary departure from it...I don't even have the patience for it right now, but if I remember right, there are certain sections of the song that get treated like 4/4 time...but there's 7/8 in there in sections. Any of these crazy things can be done, if they are handle with finesse and everyone in the band knows what's coming.

I got hooked on a band called OM that used strange time signatures and even had momentary inserts of part measures in different times that just somehow worked. It was like they were out to prove just how much freedom you have with it. Remind me to show you what I mean.[/url]
JoeyCAZA
rSoNew

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically, you have to be the judge of the "home chord moment" to be able to tell when it begins the next measure, or cycle?

What happens if the whole cycle take more than just one measure, and it ends up taking up four? How can you which note gets the beat, exactly?
Because counting beats is easy enough. Like you said, tapping your foot, bobbing your head, patting, etc., all of that is what can be used. But, that's the easy part. haha.

I can figure out if it's in 4/x or 8/x for the most part. It's just solving for X that I have trouble with, lol.

And I sort of get the concept, but it's still a little hazy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    rSoGuitar :: Guitar Lessons for Visual Music Theory Forum Index -> Theory All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: